February 08, 2022
The Task Force report’s recommendations include five main areas to quickly increase the supply of market housing, to meet a goal of adding 1.5 million homes over the next 10 years:
- Make changes to planning policies and zoning to allow for greater density and increase the variety of housing.
- Reduce and streamline urban design rules to lower costs of development.
- Depoliticize the approvals process to address NIMBYism and cut red tape to speed up housing.
- Prevent abuse of the appeal process and address the backlog at the Ontario Land Tribunal by prioritizing cases that increase housing.
- Align efforts between all levels of government to incentivize more housing.
Additionally, the Task Force’s report makes other recommendations to increase housing supply over the long term, including digitizing and modernizing the approvals and planning process, growing the skilled labour workforce, and encouraging new pathways to homeownership.
Habitat for Humanity Ontario Caucus Open Letter Response